Friday, April 29, 2011

Royal wedding--good show!

   I am so impressed with England today. For years I have heard that they had become a "Godless nation" but I didn't see that today. How beautiful and personal and Godful the royal wedding was. It was, in fact, so personal that I doubt it made anyone jealous. It was their wedding. The wedding of real people who looked so happy, so in love, so self-assured and calm that it was simply appealing. They used traditional vows but wrote their own prayer! And how sweet it was: thanking God for their families, their love, and their joy, they asked that God would make them generous and keep their eyes fixed on what is real in life. Simple, spiritual, beautiful, regal. Could it get any better?
   I saw (I think) a wonderful amount of solid self. Two people who had put in the time to really know each other. I loved the quote from Catherine of Siena that began the homily, "Be who God meant you to be and you will set the world on fire." And the sweetest part for me was when I heard that one of the expert lip-readers said Kate got into the carriage after the ceremony and said, "I'm so happy, let's pray!" If that is the case, then she is certainly a woman who has solid self, and doesn't care what the world thinks of her. She is who she is and is comfortable with anyone knowing. I absolutely loved it! It was better than a good show--it was delightful, perfectly delightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment